LoGo !

Immigration to Canada FAQs

 Home | Travel | Chat | Entertainment | Education | E-Cards | TEL.DIR | News| Sports | ForexFashion | Food | Jobs | Web2SMS


Immigration to Canada FAQs

An immigrant is defined as a person who seeks lawful permission to land in Canada to establish residence in Canada.

What is a Canadian Immigrant Visa?

A Canadian Immigrant Visa is a legal document that enables a person to live and work anywhere in Canada.

What are the categories of immigrants?

To date, the Immigration Act and attendant Regulations defines several categories of immigrants. They are independent immigrants, entrepreneurs, investors, self-employed persons, family class, assisted relatives and convention refugees. 

Who can qualify as an independent immigrant to Canada?

Any person who demonstrates specific occupational skills and experience may qualify as an independent immigrant. However, in order to qualify these skills must be readily transferable to the Canadian labour market. Therefore, we would ask that you complete our free informal assessment form in order to see if you qualify. 

Does it matter if I am an illegal resident in the country from which I am applying?

To date, the general procedural guidelines advise immigration officers that they cannot refuse to process applications from applicants without lawful permission to be in the country where they reside. This includes Canada. 

What if I have a relative already in Canada?

If you possess a close relative living in Canada it will increase your chances of a successful application. However, the relative must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen aged 19 or over, and he/she must be a "close relative" as defined in our assessment form. It should be noted that you will be required to provide documentation to prove the relationship. 

Is it true that the Canadian Immigration Act and its Regulations will be changing?

Immigration Laws, Regulations, and policies are always subject to change. We are advised that in the year 2000 there were proposed changes tabled before the Canadian Parliament. Since that date, there have been ongoing discussions to make the selection criteria more compatible with the Canadian labour market. The effect of these changes will vary considerably but we are confident that it may open more doors to applicants who may not of previously qualified under the present Immigration Laws and Regulations. 

Do I need to hire a paralegal, lawyer or legal representative to complete my forms and advise me on my application?

No. However, their expertise can be invaluable and make the difference between an approval and refusal of your application form given their extensive knowledge of the Immigration Act and its attendant Regulations. 

What is the difference between using a Canadian-based representative and a foreign-based representative?

A foreign-based representative(s) may be outside the reach of Canadian law. Consequently, there may be no protection or recourse available in Canada to you if you are dissatisfied with their services. Additionally, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will only provide information on your file to representatives who are either:

  • Canadian citizens
  • Permanent residents of Canada or
  • Physically present in Canada.

In your decision making process you should also consider that there are several associations and/or societies in Canada, that either govern or oversee Canadian-based companies, paralegal or attorneys. Consequently, you may lodge a complaint against the legal representative and they will investigate the complaint(s). Failing an adequate response from the representative, these associations etc. can take disciplinary measures and/or impose discipline and provide financial compensations to clients who are victims of negligence or misconduct. All in all, by using a Canadian based legal representative there are recourses available in Canada to a dissatisfied client from oversees. 

Where must my application be submitted?

Applicants may submit their application to any of the International Region's points of service. They are not required to reside or have an address in the area served by the office where they apply. Once your file has been completed, our office will determine which processing posts have the quickest times and advise you accordingly. Subsequently, you may decide which post is most convenient to your needs. However, it should be noted that non-resident applicants might involve more steps and take longer than resident applications.

Source: Net Pakistani



Copyright 2001-2007, NicePakistan.com. All Rights Reserved. || Terms of Use || Feedback ||  Advertisement || Contact Us ||